Thursday 22 December 2011

Friends United (Meri Dosti Mera Pyar)




Have you heard of the saying - You can choose your friends but not your relations?   Well  - I'll say no more.  A number of my friends, who started off as colleagues are now part of my extended family. We enjoy each other's company so much that we usually get together once or twice a year. 

We got together a couple of weeks at my place where they got to sample some of my cooking.   At these parties we have fun catching up on any gossip, any new additions to the family and also talking about the “good old days”.  I love meeting my friends and we never seem to tire of each other's company. 

We have started referring to these events as “XXXX Magic” and one of them made and decorated this wonderful cake for the day. 



I took a lot of photographs on the day but also forgot to take some as I got busy and distracted at time. Most recipes are on my blog and some need to be written. 

I hope that the menu for the day will inspire some of you to try the recipes.   

My menu was as follows:

Starters-

Papadums — with choice of Mango Dip, Raita, Green Chutney, Salsa

Punjabi Samosas made with peas and potatoes

Spring rolls — Made from moong sprouts, potatoes, carrots and capsicum

Curries

I made sweet corn curry with kidney beans and cooked it with peanuts in coconut milk.


At the suggestion of my younger son - I made mattar paneer in spicy punjabi style gravy. 


I also made moglai potatoes in spicy yoghurt gravy with onions.


For the breads I made masala puris and  Garlic & Herb Naans


For the rice dish I  chose to make  saffron rice garnished with Butter, cardamoms and saffron.


Desserts

We had Fulkhaja/Baklava (Ready made).  These are very sweet puff pastries with honey nut fillings. 


I made the carrot halwa. 


Several friends brought various desserts too.  Too much temptation here with music, masti and maja.





We finished the meal with Tea/Coffee & Cookies.

I really had fun planning the menu and then cooking the food.  Most of all I loved entertaining my friends and can't wait for the next get together. 

The food tasted delicious and I think my friends loved the food too as they were happy to take some of the leftovers  home. 

I wanted t capture that moment and also share the menu ideas hoping that some of you may like to copy my menu suggestions when entertaining over the Christmas holidays. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year friends. Have fun with your loved ones and be safe.



If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. 


My blog  is also available on Kindle.  

16 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you had a great time. Lovely spread there. Happy Holidays to you and ur family Mina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been real fun Mina..
    Loved that cake with fireworks. Get togethers are enjoyed at the time and later become a sweet memory too...isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you had great fun with your friends..everybody needs friends :-) your menu is awesome...merry xmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks so delicious! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...lipsmacking gooooodies...;)
    merry christmas n happy holidays dear..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! The menu is simply mouthwatering. Nothing like having a great time with friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy holidays to you and family
    lovely cake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post Minaji !
    Wish you a wonderful 2012 !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks delicious! Sounds like a very fun and delicious gathering. I'll have to give that moglai potatoes a try one of these days. Happy New Year Mina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!!!! :) I wish we were neighbours! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks so yummy! I do like Indian food :0) I just wish I was a little more adventurous in the kitchen and that my kids were a little more accepting of my attempts. Thanks for making my tummy growl:0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. all that food is making me salivate and creating hunger pangs Meena - looks like your NEw year is off to a good start dear :) and love the new FB group name :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. AMAZING mataji! I finally got up the nerve to make some paneer last night along with some basmati rice and some puris, it was unbelievable! I will be following you for more great ideas..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful feast, when can I join your extended family??:)

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.