Friday 13 May 2011

Mooli (Daikon) curry (Moora nu khariyu)


This Mooli curry (called mura nu khariyu) is really a very traditional gujarati recipe.  My father in law used to love this dish so we have got into the habit of making it regularly.  This is a quick dish which is quite an acquired taste.  Mooli's are usually used for making stuffed Mooli parathas or eaten raw in a salad.   Mooli tastes very much like a radish.  More information about Mooli is here

Ingredients for 2 -3  servings: 

One bunch of small baby mooli ( the bunch usually has 5 to 6 moolis with leaves)
2 tablespoon cooking oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon chilly powder ( you can add a bit more if like hot food)
2 tablespoons of chick pea flour
½ teaspoon cumin seeds

Method:

1.  For this recipe, you use the mooli with the leaves.

2.  Wash and clean the mooli.  

3.  Peel the mooli  using a potato peeler.




4.  Either grate the mooli or chop it finely.  The leaves too have to be chopped finely.


5.  Heat the oil in a frying fan and add the cumin seeds.  


7.  Once they go darker, add the chopped and grated mooli together with the spices and stir well. 


8.  Stir-fry the vegetables until they are soft. 


9.  You will notice that once the mooli is cooked, there will be a bit of gravy remaining.  Add the chick pea flour to this and stir.  I would suggest adding one tablespoon and checking whether you need to add the second one as you don't want the curry to be too dry. 


10.  Turn the heat to low and stir in the chick pea flour and allow it to blend in and cook.   This would only take a couple of minutes. 


11.  Once ready, remove and serve with hot  chappatis.  




If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.


My blog  is also available on Kindle.  


17 comments:

  1. I love radish greens.Curry looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, I am going to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictorial. I love radish ...

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina, this looks delicious. I'm new to Indian cooking--is mooli similar to parsnips, or more like daikon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Radish curry looks marvellous,would love with curd rice..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @playinginthekitchen

    Mooli may look like a parsnip but tastes and cooks more like a radish or daikon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks amazing! I will definitely try this curry out with my friends at our next dinner party, since I love things that are an 'acquired taste.' ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mina, thank you for your comment on Pixel77. I just have to try out some of your recipes, they look very healthy and delicious! :)
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  9. These khariya look delicious. I make them but have never added chick pea flour to them I will surely try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. never tried besan with muli.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nisha

    Nisha thanks for your comments. do try this and let me know if you enjoyed the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @simply.food

    Nayna - this is the way we cook Moora and mogri in both my parents and in laws house so it must be a traditional kathiawadi recipe I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, This looks delish!
    I use mooli in a lot of my curry recipes. I love the taste and texture. I haven't been able to get any with the leaves still attached. Do the leaves have a particular taste? Would the curry be much different without the leaves? If I couldn't get the leaves, I would probably add spinach at the end - mooli and spinach are a nice combination x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin

      The leaves have a very unusual taste -difficult to explain. Your mouth feels really fresh after you have eaten them. They taste pleasant enough to add to a salad.

      Delete
  14. Excellent detail with perfect pictures and easy to follow instructions. I remember this dish well as this was my grandfather's regular Must Have items on the menu. Brings back memories of life in Kenya within the Bhatia community where there was regularly a wide range of different dishes cooked for breakfast, lunch and dinner and on special days

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi, cud we use the same recipe for lauki???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always try it with lauki and see if you like the taste.....I have not tried it with lauki. I have tried it with white cabbage and it tasted great.

      Delete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.