Sunday 13 February 2011

Punjabi Pizza or Stuffed Paratha ? What shall I call it?


I have just realised who commands the Daily menu in my kitchen!! It's my children as you always worry if they don't eat their food.  You also worry if they are not eating all their vegetables.  I am always trying to think of ways to make a dish interesting for them so that they eat well.   My young son loves Pizzas and went through a phase where he had to either have a pizza every day or something with cheese added to it to make it look like a pizza!!  That's when I came up with this recipe which is of a stuffed paratha but with some of the pizza ingredients added.   I told my son who was very young at the time that it was a "Punjabi Pizza" and since that day, it's been called that in our house.  We really enjoy this dish as a weekend brunch dish.  I hope that you will all agree with me that this one is a real winner with children.  You can add what ever fillings you like and make it as spicy or as bland as you prefer.


Ingredients for 4 parathas:

For the filling:

2 medium sized potatoes
1 small Onion -cut in thin slices
1 pepper sliced thinly
1 tomato sliced thinly
1-2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
some green chutney or tomato sauce 
small bunch of coriander - cut finely
1/2 a teaspoon salt
1/2 a teaspoon chilly powder
some dried herbs like oregano

For the parathas:

2 cups of chappati flour (strong wheat flour)
pinch of salt
1 clove of garlic - minced
Some sunflower oil


Method:


For the filling: 

1. Boil the potatoes and mash them using a fork

2.  Add in the salt, chilly powder, coriander leaves and half the cheddar cheese. 

3. Mix well using a fork and leave the mixture covered.





4.   Slice up all the vegetables you want to use for the filling.


For the dough: 

5.   Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl.

6.   Add the salt and garlic to the flour

7.  Add two teaspoons of oil to the flour.

8.  Mix the dough with warm water and let it rest for half an hour.



9.    Divide the dough into small balls - smaller than a ping pong ball.

10.  Take one ball and roll out the dough to the size of a  6-7 inch diameter chappati

11.  Spread the chutney or tomato sauce on the rolled out chappati.  Recipe for the chutney is here



12.  Spread the cheese and potato mixture on top of the chutney or sauce.


13.  Spread the toppings like you would for a pizza.  I used peppers, tomatoes and onions.


14.  Spread some cheddar cheese and any herbs like oregano on the toppings just like you would for a pizza. Whilst putting all the toppings on the chappati, don't press too hard on it as the dough is quite delicate.


15.   Cover all the toppings with a similar sized chappati.  Now you see why I don't know what to call this dish? Pizza or paratha?? But what's in a name?


16.  Warm a griddle or a frying pan.  Add some oil to the pan and gently heat the paratha on a medium flame.

17.  You want to make sure that the filling cooks without burning the outer later,  You also don't want the cheese to cook too fast  or it will melt and ooze out of the paratha.


18.  Flip the paratha over and allow the second side to cook.


19.  The pizza/paratha is ready to be served.  I'll be very interested in your views on what I should call this dish!!


20.  Some serving suggestions:






If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.


My blog  is also available on Kindle.

25 comments:

  1. Mina Parathas make me drool that too in pizza twist is lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow simply superb.. Can I have some?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yumm and lovely tempting pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this paratha widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about paratha,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time here and just fell in love with your yummy recipes. And I wouyld claas this pizza paratha. The stuffing is to die for. I can't wait to have a bite of it !!
    If get time do drop in at
    Hamaree Rasoi
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh I had the same thing to say then seeing Divya had to change it..but these are so yum..

    ReplyDelete
  7. vey innovative and surely kids will love their pizza paratha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would call it Pizza - Paratha. You can't really call it pizza since there is no yeast in the dough. So it has to be a paratha with some fancy prefix. Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Indian quesadilla...Super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is too good Mina JI...I think its more like a indian quesadilla!...
    I sure my kids will like it...I will make it for them!
    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. he he! whether its stuffed paratha or pizza it looks awesome with its lovely pictures and detailed demo inviting me to grab it and feel its wonderful taste

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow looks soo yummy..n inviting...:-)
    Bookmarked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good name eyecatching praths tempting!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PARizza - I think.
    Lovely.
    Tomorrows Lunch box idea is ready for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks extremely tempting!yummy yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love stuffed parathas, specially the the ones with potato stuffing but don't make it t home though..

    I like your stuffed paratha/pizzas.. another name for your parathas/pizza is quesadilla as the preparation is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am very hungry after viewing photos and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. good idea! nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously u r killing me with ur droolworthy stuffed paratha...i'll go for punjabi pizza, that suits prefectly to this paratha..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...please stick to calling it punjabi pizza. The name makes it so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woooow realy a perfect Indian pizza look at that crips layer fantastic dear...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thx for the idea. I have to try this with my kids. I seriously thought it was a stuffed pizza looking at the first image.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, what an excellent idea dear. I am drooling over your pics :)

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.