Monday 13 June 2011

Pigeon Peas/ Gunga Peas or Lilva Tuvar Curry


Pigeon Peas is also called Gunga peas or Lilva tuvar gungo and come in various forms. When they are fresh and green, they can be peeled like fresh peas. You can get fresh, frozen or tinned varieties of pigeon peas in most Asian supermarkets.

Ingredients (serves 2):

Cooking time : 20 minutes

2 cups of boiled pigeon peas
½ a can of crushed tomatoes ( you can used fresh tomatoes or passata too)
2 tablespoon cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 teaspoon dry cumin seeds,
2 small pieces of cinnamon,
3 cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
½ teaspoon of garam masala
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoons jaggery or brown sugar (optional)
1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
2 fresh green chillies

Method:




1 Heat the 2 tablespoons cooking oil and add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon. The cloves will pop and the cumin needs to cook until it goes dark.

3. Add the garlic, curry leaves and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.

4. Add all the spices, lemon and jaggery to the tomato mixture.

5. Cook all the ingredients until the tomatoes go soft and homogenous.

6. Add the boiled pigeon peas to the mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.


7. Add the garam masala and remove the pigeon peas curry to a serving dish and sprinkle it with some chopped green chillies, desiccated coconut and coriander.


8. This curry should be served hot with rice or any of the Indian breads.

I served this with coriander and green chilly flavoured parathas (recipe to follow)..



If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter. My blog  is also available on Kindle.  

25 comments:

  1. Looks so fabulous!!! This is new to me and I want to try it. Great pictures! Thank you for this dish, book marked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this beans in the blog world, new for me, need to hunt for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb!! I smell authentic already.. please send a dish here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious healthy combination looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. Bread also is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that paratha looks to die for..crispy n flaky...lovely curry..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks delicious dear...
    looks perfect with paratha's :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bowl looks delicious with those parathas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mina
    How are you?
    These days I am cooking but not posting. Very nice recipe and will try soon. I like the spicing . I take note that you haven't used onion. That one spoon of Garlic I really like and can feel aroma.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  10. The gravy looks fab & mouth watering!!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks soo yumm..lovely combo:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfect with rotis !! looks so delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yummy ! I must try without onions

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so fab ..we got the peas paratha little different way ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. very delicious curry, great recipe..do visit my space as time permits..following u

    ReplyDelete
  16. SImply inviting, curry looks super delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal

    Thanks Priya. You may be able to get some tinned version in the Asian grocery shops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Ushnish Ghosh

    Thank you Ushnishji. You can add onions if you like. I prefer to eat most of my food with a onion and tomato salad rather than cook with onions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Padhu

    Thanks Padhuji. You can use onions if you like. I tend not to use them as my son isn't too keen on onions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious pigeon peas curry..looks yum yum..

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds hot n spicy...yummy recipe..loved d excellent clicks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I had never heard of pigeon peas before and look forward to trying them. I'm a big Indian food eater, but new to cooking it...so I'm glad to have a knowledgeable source. Found you on the LinkedIn bloggers forum. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is a great site - some really simple recipes but full of the taste of real india. i look forward to trying many of these recipes

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved the paratha and the curry..Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.