Tuesday 7 February 2012

White Cabbage and fresh Green chillies Salad (sambharo)



Sambharo is rather like a spicy cooked salad always served up as a condiment to a main meal.   It's usually made with carrots, white cabbage, raw mangoes, raw papaya and hot green chillies - stir fried in oil, mustard seeds and turmeric. It can be served hot or cold.    This kind of a salad is my favourite and any leftovers are used as sandwich fillers for my lunch.  A lot of Indian takeaways serve a small portion of sambharo with ganthia.  Most gujarati thali's will have a serving of  sambharo. Sambharo is always made hot and spicy and served in a very small portion as it's usually served  to give the main meal a hot spicy taste.  This is a simple version of the sambharo and it tastes great too.

Ingredients

4 cups white Cabbage -shredded finely
8-10 small hot green chillies (you can use peppers or jalapenos)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or any cooking oil)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teasppon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon 

Method:

1.  Heat the oil in a saucepan.

2. Add the Mustard seeds.    When the mustard seeds stop popping, add the cabbage.

3.  Stir fry the  cabbage and allow it to be coated with the oil.

4.  Add the salt, turmeric and sugar (or not).

5.   Stir the cabbage and do not cover it with a lid as the cabbage should remine slightly el dante. 

6.   Add the lemon, stir and transfer the sambharo to a serving dish.

7 .  You never add garlic or  ginger or chilly powder to this dish.  Nor do you serve it with any garnishings such as coriander. 

8.  You usually serve it as an extra with your main course or with certain Indian snacks such as lamba gathia.

9. It's such a tasty dish that you would be forgiven for eating it as a sandwich filling.

If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.  

My blog  is also available on Kindle.  

7 comments:

  1. Super healthy and delicious !!

    Ongoing Event - CC-Dish For Loved Ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made cabbage sambharo same way. only difference is I add curry leaves. Sambharo is a staple recipe in my house.

    From www.spiceupthecurry.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabbage salad looks so enticing......will have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very nice...I liked the idea od using raw mangoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.