Bateta Pawa is a typical dish served in Gujarat India for breakfast. This is a great dish to make as a snack but also works a treat if you have unexpected guests. This one was made with potatoes, flaked rice and nuts. I have never seen this in a restaurant menu but I wouldn't be surprised if they served this dish in some Gujarati restaurants in India or UK.
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 medium potatoes washed and chopped in very small cubes
1 medium red onion chopped in small cubes
1 cups of pawa ( flaked rice)
2 small green chillies (chopped finely) (reduce to half or one if you are not keen on hot food.
1 cup of a mixture of cashew nuts, almonds and peanuts
1 teaspoon salt
half teasppon turmeric
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds or cumin seeds
a few curry leaves, coriander and chilly powder for garnishing (Optional)
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds to it. Add the curry leaves if you have some.
2. Once the popping stops, add the nuts and stir them in the oil.
3. Allow the nuts to be coated with the oil and cook for a minute or two. The fried nuts will taste great.
4. Now add the onions and green chillies.
4. Add the salt, turmeric and sugar.
5. Cook the onions for a couple of minutes.
6. Now add the diced potatoes.
5. Mix well, spinkle a couple of teaspoons of water and allow this to cook on a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the potatoes feel fairly soft but not overcooked.
6. In the meantime, wash the flaked rice in cold water and drain them in a sieve.
7. Once the potatoes feel soft, add the flaked rice to the mixture.
8. Add the lemon juice, stir well and allow to cook gently for 5 to7 minutes. Taste and add more salt or lemon if desired.
9. Once cooked add the coriander and using a fork, fluff up the bateta pawa.
10. Remove into a serving dish. Sprinkle some chilly powder (or pepper) on top of the bateta pawa and serve hot with yoghurt.
11. You can add sweet corn to this dish and make bateta makai pawa too
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle