Today I am sharing with you my easy peasy potato curry. I tend to make this curry when I come in late from work or have unexpected guests who I want to impress by offering them dinner. Not all the ingredients are necessary for this curry. You can make it as hot or as mild as you like it.
Ingredients for serving 4 people:
4 medium potatoes
half a can of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon tomato puri
2 or 3 cloves of finely crushed garlic (optional)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds or mustard seeds both are acceptable for this recipe.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of a mixture of cummin and coriander powder(optional)
1 teaspoon chilly powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 or 3 green chillies or coriander for serving the curry
1. Peel and dice the potatoes and soak them in water.
2. Heat the oil and add the cummn seeds and allow them to brown and if using mustard seeds - allow them to pop. Some cooks use a mixture of cumin and mustard seeds.
3. Drain the water and add the potatoes to the oil. Do this carefully as wet potatoes on oil can make a mess. And you don't want to be splattered with the hot oil. You could use a slotted spoon to add the diced potatoes to the oil and keep a lid handy to cover the saucepan. By doing it like this, the potatoes should have enough moisture to cook without getting the dry look.
4. Add the spices - salt, turmeric, chilly powder and garlic.
5. Mix well and transfer to a container which can be used in a microwave.
6. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes. Check that the potatoes are getting softer.
7. Now add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puri and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes. Tip: If the curry feels dry, you can add half a cup of water to the tomato mixture before adding it to the curry. I like to have some gravy in my curry so I usually add some water. Also some potatoes can soak up a lot of liquids.
8. The potatoes should now be cooked. Add the lemon juice, sugar and cumin and coriander powder.
9. Transfer the curry to a serving dish, decorate it with coriander or green chillies or curry leaves or dessicated coconut or even some finely chopped onions. Any of these work wonders when you are in a rush and trying to impress!!
10. This curry can be served with chappatis or rice.
My blog is also available on Kindle