These crispy bhajias are also called Maru na Bhajia (meaning Maru’s bhajia). Maru is the name of a restaurant in Nairobi and they make these crispy potato bhajias and East African's all over the World still talk about them. My recipe makes bhajias similar to Maru Bhajias.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
5-6 Medium white potatoes
1 cup chick pea flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chilly powder (optional)
1 teaspoon ajwain (Carom seeds)
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Pinch of turmeric
Pinch of soda bicarbonate
Very small bunch of finely chopped coriander
1 teaspoon of a mixture of minced green chillies and ginger (optional)
1. Peel and slice the potatoes. My potato grater has 2 sizes and I chose the thicker slices.
2. Wash and soak the potato slices in salted water for 15 minutes.
3. Mix the salt, pepper, (chilly powder) ajwain and turmeric with the chick pea flour.
4. Sprinkle this mixture thinly on a tray.
6. Drain the potatoes and layer them on top of the chickpea flour and spices..
7. Sprinkle the chick pea flour mixture on top of the potato slices topped by the coriander, chilly and ginger.
8. Repeat this until all the potatoes have been used up.
9. Keep this mixture to marinate for 30 minutes.
10. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the mixture now and using your hands, mix the potatoes well until they all get thinly covered with the flour and spices mixture. Do not add any water to this mixture. The salt and washed potatoes will create some moisture to enable you to cover all the potatoes with the spicy chickpea flour.
11. Heat some oil in a wok and fry these potatoes. Keep the heat high for the oil. Check that it's reached the temperature for putting a couple of drops of the potato mixture. If it rises quickly to the top, your oil is ready. Now lower the heat and fry the bhajias at medium heat to allow them to cook well and crispy. You may need to adjust the heat occasionally to ensure the bhajias cook well and crispy.
12. Enjoy them with any chutney or dip.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle.