Ingredients for making sev (using the following measurements I got about 500 grams of sev):
2 heaped cups of chick pea flour
2 tablespoons of rice flour
1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
pinch or turmeric
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 litre oil for frying
1 cup warm water for mixing the dough - to use as required
1. Sieve the chick pea flour, rice flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the turmeric and lemon.
3. Add warm water and mix the dough using a fork for as long as you can. Chick pea flour can get very sticky. Once you get the dough mixed, grease your hands and check that the dough is of a fairly soft consistancy. Transfer this to a clean plate and allow the dough to rest for half an hour.
4. In the mean time, heat the oil to medium heat.
5. Grease the sev maker cylinder lightly with oil, choose the thinnest disc and fill it with the dough.
6. Turn the handle and drop the sev directly into the hot oil in a circular fashion, spreading it evenly in the oil, so it does not stick together.
7. Turn the sev once and allow to cook. The sev is best cooked at medium heat or it will burn.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle.