Sunday 31 January 2010

GREEN BEANS AND POTATO CURRY

Photobucket


Coming home after a full days work, I like to try and cook food that is simple and quick to make.  I timed the cooking of this curry and chappatis and it took me less than an hour.  That's when I thought, I should share this recipe with my friends. ( In fact - it took me longer to write this recipe!)

Ingredients:

One bowl of green beans - fresh or frozen ( I used frozen beans - I just snapped them in bite size pieces)
One medium potato chopped - I used Desiree potato as it cooks fast.

Photobucket


INGREDIENTS:

1 to 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
Half teaspoon of dry mustard seed
Half  teaspoon Salt
Half teaspoon tumeric
I teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoonof coriander and cumin powder (optional)
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
half a can of crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon
1 teaspoon maple syrup  sugar, gor or honey can also be used)
Fresh coriander (don't worry if you don't have this)


The amount of salt or chilly powder can be adjusted to your taste.

METHOD:

1.  In a saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and add some mustard seeds to the oil.

2.  Once the mustard seeds start popping, add the green beans and potatoes.

3. Stir the vegetables and add the ginger, garlic, salt, tumeric, chilly powder,  coriander and cumin powder.

4.  If using fresh beans, add half a glass of water.  When using frozen beans, you don't need to add the water. - unless you like to have gravy in your curry.

5. Cook the vegetables on a medium heat for 7 minutes or in a microwave for 5 minutes.  Check that the vegetables are nearly cooked. 

Photobucket


6.  Now add the crushed  tomatoes, sugar and lemon and cook for a further 5 minutes in the microwave or  on the cooker hob.

7.  The curry should be ready to serve with rice or chappatis or naan bread.



If you enjoy reading my blog, please Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

Photobucket
www.givemesomespice.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.