Friday 29 March 2013

Butternut Squash Soup


As I mentioned yesterday, my son's friends were having dinner with us today and the menu for today was chosen by my son. 

We had butternut squash soup with French bread and Potato cakes as a starter.  The soup was very quick and easy to make and didn't need many spices to make it tasty as butternut squash has a lovely sweet nutty taste.  

Ingredients for 10 servings of soup:

1 large butternut squash.  I weighed mine and it was 1500 grams.
1 medium potato
5-6 cloves of fresh garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp salt
1 heaped tbs bouillon

Method:

A lot of people are put off from cooking butternut squash as everyone seems to think that chopping it is a chore.  The best way to chop a butternut squash is to keep an old newspaper under the vegetable.


1.  First cut the squash in the middle.


2.  Next cut it into quarters,  Now remove the outside tough skin with a sharp knife.  


3.  Remove the seeds and cut it into small manageable cubes.  Once all the butternut squash is cut into cubes, you just need to wrap all the rubbish in the newspaper and throw it in the kitchen and garden waste bag.


4. Transfer the butternut squash to a saucepan. Peel and cut the potato into cubes and add it to the squash.

5.  Add the ginger and garlic.

6.  Add the bouillon and then add 3-4 cups of water so that most of the butternut squash are covered with water.

7.  Cover the saucepan and cook on a high heat for 15 minutes,  stir and allow to cook for a further 15 minutes on a medium heat or until the potatoes soften. 



 8.  Once the vegetables are soft, blend them using a food mixer.  The butternut squash was such a lovely orange colour that it looked more like mango juice than butternut squash.


9.  Allow the soup to simmer until the soup looks the right consistency.  Serve it hot with French bread. Any left over soup can be frozen.  


10.  The main course today was cannelloni served with roast potatoes and green beans.



If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog is also available on Kindle.



2 comments:

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.