Friday 8 April 2011

Sev Tameta nu Shak (Tomato and chick pea flour noodle curry)



This is another very traditional Gujarati dish which is very quick to make. I really like this curry when it’s freshly made. This curry had a lovely sweet and sour taste. Adding the sev makes it spicy and crunchy. This tastes perfect with hot chappatis.

Ingredients:

3-4 really ripe tomatoes
½ cup of tinned tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puri
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon jaggery
1 cup sev ( Follow my recipe to make sev or get ready made sev from the Indian stores)
small bunch of coriander
2-3 curry leaves (optional)
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon turmeric
1-2 fresh green chillies ( you can cut them in small pieces or just leave them whole slightly pricked. Depends on how fiery you want this curry to be)
2-3 cloves of freshly minced garlic
1 teaspoon of minced ginger
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds

Method:

1. Prick the tomatoes and boil them in water for 5-6 minutes or until the outer skin can be removed.

2. Remove the skin and blend the fresh tomatoes and tinned tomatoes using an electric blender or a potato masher. My family aren’t too skin on tomato skin so I prefer to blend it well with a blender.

3. Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds.

4. Once the seeds brown, add in the tomato mixture and stir.

5. Add in the salt, turmeric, ginger, garlic, green chillies, tomato puri, lemon juice, fresh coriander and jaggery.

6. Allow this to cook at medium heat for 5-6 minutes. The sauce should be nice and thick by this time.


7. About 5 minutes before you are ready to serve – add in the sev, stir and remove the curry to a serving bowl. The sev tends to soak up the sauces from the curry and become soggy if you cook this curry in advance.



8. Garnish it with fresh coriander or curry leaves.



9. Serve this with hot buttery chappatis.

If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog  is also available on Kindle.  

9 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely amazing, bright color and very mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so authentic and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. flavourful combination Mina I haven't made like this before but it looks good

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds interesting and new to me...
    looks delicious dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this...tried this once n liked it..simple n yumm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum yum, seriously am hungry now..

    ReplyDelete
  7. innovative and delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic...irresistibly yumm..

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.