Sunday 10 April 2011

Quorn Curry : Quorn Chicken Style pieces with vegetables and noodles




Let me first tell you a bit about Quorn as I am not sure how popular it is out of the UK.  Quorn' is the brand name for a range of meat-free ingredients and meals.   Quorn is  versatile and quick to cook.  The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large fermentation vats.

Quorn is produced as both a cooking ingredient and a range of ready meals. It is sold as a health food and an alternative to meat, especially for vegetarians.   The binding agent for Quorn is egg .  Please checkout www.quorn.co.uk for more information and the range of products they make.

All my Quorn recipes have been posted especially for my sons and all young students who love Quorn and are looking for quick recipe ideas.

Ingredients for 2 servings:

2 cups of Quorn chicken style pieces
2 cups of any mixed vegetables. (I used frozen mixed vegetables)
2 cups of Passata (you can use tinned tomatoes as well but may need slightly more)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper or chilly powder
½ teaspoon of cumin and coriander powder
pinch of turmeric
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Any dry herbs like rosemary or chives
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2-3 nests of plain noodles (I used Sherwoods noodles)

Method:

1.  Quorn is very similar to tofu, soya or paneer in the sense that it tastes better when marinated.  Transfer the Quorn and mixed vegetables to a mixing bowl and pour in the passata and the all the spices like salt, pepper, turmeric,  lemon juice and the herbs.  Allow this to marinade for at least 2 hours and if possible longer.





2.  Heat  some olive oil  and add the grated garlic to it. Make sure, the garlic doesn't burn.   ( You can fry some onions too if you like onions before adding the marinated mixture too if you wish.).  Add the marinated mixture to the oil and allow it to cook gently for 15 minutes or until it's bubbling hot.

3.  Boil some water and cook the noodles.  You can also serve this with naan, rice or spaghetti.

4.  Drain the noodles and serve them topped with the Quorn curry.




If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog  is also available on Kindle.  


8 comments:

  1. looks very tempting and delicious..... Slurp :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quorn is very new to me & different too. well presented dear.. Where to we get this quorn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, want that wonderful looking platter...just drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mina

    Chicken with noodles and veggies look awesome. I wish I was your neighbour so that I could have invited myself to relish your mouthwatering dish.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have lots of yummy recipes on here. Potato Curry sounds delicious. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you defrost the quorn before marinating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I do not defrost any of the Quorn products. I tend to give more than 2 hours for marinating the chicken style pieces.

      Hope this answers your query.

      Mina

      Delete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.