Wednesday 14 April 2010

New Potato Curry


I love the taste of new potatoes whether they are just boiled, fried or in a curry.  I made this curry when I had some visitors over Easter.  It turned out to be  favourite with the children.

Ingredients:

12 to 15 small new potatoes
half a can of tomatoes
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilly powder
2-3 fresh green chillies (optional)
half a Teaspoon mixture of ground  cloves and cinnamon powder
a small bunch of coriander
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey

Method

1.  Wash  the new potatoes and steam them with the peel on.  I used a pressure cooker to steam mine.
2.   Use a fork to prick the potatoes and check that they are cooked.  Allow the potatoes to cool slightly by pouring cold water over the potatoes.   Now gently peel the potatoes. Cooking potatoes this way keep them whole.
3.   Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the cumin seeds to the oil. 
4.  Once the cumin seeds are dark, add the peeled potatoes.  Allow the potatoes to be coated in the oil.
5.  Add the salt, turmeric and chilly powder to the potatoes.  Also add the green chillies if you like them.
6.  Add the honey and allow the potatoes to cook on medium heat .  I like my potatoes to get a nice coating of all the spices.   Now add the half teaspoon of ground cinnamon and cloves powder.
7.  Now blend the can of tomatoes and lemon and pour it over the potatoes. Stir well but gently to avoid breaking the potatoes.
8.  Allow this to cook for 5 minutes.
9.  Sprinkle coriander and serve the curry with some Indian bread.


Photobucket
www.givemesomespice.com

1 comment:

  1. Wooow,,,Potato fry looks colourful n eye catching,Mina...i like all kinds of potato fry well goes with our south indian rasam rice...

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.