Make this quick and easy colourful rice for any meal. It's got some spices but isn't too spicy so can be served with any salad and yogurt. You can adapt this recipe to whatever vegetables you have available to cook with rice. I have some of my favourite young guests coming today to join us for the Queens Diamond Jubilee street party this weekend and they love this rice.
1 cup of rice
1 cup of mixed vegetables (I used green soya beans (edamame beans), peas, sweetcorn, sweet peppers, carrots)
3-4 Echalion shallots (or any small onions)
4-5 baby tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
half a teaspoon of turmeric
1 tablespon oil
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (Optional)
1, Cut the carrots and peppers into small cubes.
2. Add all the vegetables (apart from the shollots and baby tomatoes) to the rice and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the water and add plenty of hot water to the rice and vegetables and allow to cook on high until bubbling. (You cook this similar to pasta with lots of water).
4. Once the rice is cooked (You check this by taking some rice in a spoon), drain the water by using a sieve or colander- (just like you would do for pasta).
5. Heat the oil and add the shallots to the oil. Add the cumin seeds now.
6. Toss the onions until they are coated with oil and cook for a minute or two - until the cumin seeds brown.
7. Add the rice to the onions.
8, Add the salt and turmeric. If you like your rice to be hot - you can add green chilies or chile powder to the rice)
9. Gently mix the rice with a fork. Transfer the mixture to an oven proof bowl.
10, Garnish with the Baby tomatoes and cover with foil.
11. Cook in an oven at 170 degreeC ( about 350 F) for 15 minutes
12. Serve the colourful rice with yogurt and a nice salad.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan on my facebook page or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle