Every family has some favourite dishes they make regularly with some variations. This is one dish I make at least once a month but with variation of vegetables depending on what is available seasonally. A recipe for a similar dish with potatoes and without the aubergines is here.
2 cups of valor prepared into small pieces. See here how to prepare valor.
1 medium sized aubergine cut into cubes.
half a cup of fresh chopped methi (fenugreek)
10 muthias (you can use more if you like) Recipe for muthias is here
one cup of passata ( you can use canned tomatoes if you wish)
3-4 cloves garlic which should be really crushed finely
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon a mixture of cumin and mustard seeds
salt to taste
chilly powder to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice.
1. Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan with a lid.
2. Add the mustard and cumin seeds to the hot oil and cover until the popping stops.
3. Lower the heat and add the aubergines, valor and methi.
4. Stir well and add the garlic, salt, chilly powder and turmeric powder.
5. Add half a cup of water and stir.
6. Transfer the dish to the microwave and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Check that the valor has softened. If not - allow five more minutes. The aubergines don't take too long to cook.
8. Add the muthias to the curry and allow it to cook for five minutes. The muthias will start to absorb any moisture in the curry.
9. Add the passata or tomatoes and lemon and allow the curry to cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until it gets to the consistancy you like. I am not keen on too much gravy in my curries.
10. Try and be gentle when stirring your curry so you can see all the vegetables when it is cooked.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan on my facebook page or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle