I have always had Romano peppers chopped up either in a salad, pizza topping or rice. I got some large peppers and capsicums from the farmer's market and I wanted to see how they would taste stuffed with vegetables or rice. I decided to try stuffing them at the same time as stuffing the capsicums. The result was good and we enjoyed the dish very much.
Ingredients for 2 -4 servings:
2 large romano peppers
3 large capsicums
1 medium onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of grated or blended ginger
1 teaspoon of blended fresh green chillies (can use more if you like hot food)
3 cups of cooked rice (any rice is fine. I used Basmati rice)
2 cups of any mixed vegetables chopped finely. ( I used carrots, peas, sweet corn, peppers and green beans)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese.
1 teaspoon salt
½ teasppon turmeric
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon any cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
1. Cut a slice off the top of each capsicum , remove centre core and seeds. Save the tops to cover the pepper during cooking.
2. Slice the romano peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds.
3. Brush the peppers and capsicums on the outside with the olive oil and then stand them upright in an ovenproof dish and allow them to cook in the oven for 3-4 minutes.
4. Heat one tablespoon of oil and add in the onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
5. Add the frozen vegetables stir fry the mixture. Now add the salt and turmeric as well.
6. When the vegetables soften, add the cooked rice to the mixture and allow the mixture to cool.
7. Transfer the mixture into the pepper and capsicum.
8. Add a cheese topping to the Romano peppers.
9. Cover the capsicums with the tops you had sliced off.
8. Bake for 20 -25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°C) until the peppers and capsicums are tender.
9. Serve this colourful dish hot with a salad or any sauce of your choice.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.
My blog is also available on Kindle.