Ever wondered why your spicy rice doesn't turn out nice and fluffy? Well here's my recipe which will show you how to make nice spicy rice which doesn't look like khichedi.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
3 cups cooked plain basmati rice
1 medium potato
1/2 cup peas ( I used frozen pea)
1 onion ( I used red onion)
1-2 green chillies
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
3-4 cashews (optional)
5-8 peanuts (optional)
1. You need to make sure you have cooked the rice. This recipe would also work with left over rice.
2. Grate or chop your onions finely.
3. Dice the potatoes into very small cubes
4. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds to the oil.
5. Once the cumin seeds get brown, add the onions and allow them to soften.
6. Add the potatoes and peas.
7. Add the salt and turmeric powder to the vegetables. Stir well and allow the vegetables to cook for 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes soften. When using frozen peas, you do not need to add any water to the vegetables. Fresh peas may need some water.
8. Add the cashews, peanuts and green chillies to the mixture.
9. Now add the cooked rice to the vegetables . The plain rice needs to be stirred into the vegetables.
10. Cover the mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes.
11. The rice is ready to serve. For special occasions, you can garnish it with cashews and peanuts.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.