Wednesday 11 August 2010

Chakri or Chakli (Spiral Shaped Crispy Indian Snacks)



Chakri's or chakli's as some people call them are crispy a spiral shaped Gujarati snack usually made from Rice flour (although I have seen recipes with wheat flour too -I have always used rice flour). I usually make them as a snack during school holidays and make them specially for Diwali.  I have been making chakris for years and have created a taste  my family and I enjoy.  I like my chakris to be crispy as well as spicy. If you use my recipe - you'll certainly enjoy the unique taste I have created using various ingredients in my recipe.

Ingredients for about 40 chakris

2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup chick pea flour
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup melted butter NOT GHEE please (Try and use salted butter)
2 cups of lassi (mixture of plain yogurt and water)
1 tablespoon lemonjuice
4 green chillies
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 litre oil for deep-frying

Method:

1. Sieve the three flours in a mixing bowl.

2. Add the salt, turmeric, chili powder, melted butter, lemon juice and sesame seeds.

Photobucket

3. Transfer the yogurt (home made and slightly sour is best) and water to a blender. Add the green chillies and ginger to this mixture and blend well so that the chillies and ginger get blended in the lassi.

4. Use the lassi to bind the dough for the chakri.

Photobucket

5. The dough should be soft. Leave this covered for 20 minutes.

Photobucket

6. Place the dough in chakri maker using the disc with the star -  or you can use an an icing bag.

Photobucket

7. Place a plastic sheet on top of your work top and try pressing the dough out of the chakri maker or the icing bag and make small spirals of dough on the plastic sheet.

Photobucket

8.   Make sure, you stick the end of the spiral to the middle of the chakri to ensure, it doesn’t unwind when frying.  Please see the photograph below:

Photobucket

9. Heat the oil as the chakris are now ready for frying.

10. Lift the plastic sheet and transfer the chakri to a flat spoon or skimmer and transfer the chakri to the hot oil.

Photobucket

11. As soon as you transfer 3-4 chakris to the oil, reduce the oil to the lowest temperature possible and let it cook as slowly as possible. Resist the temptation touch the chakris for a minute or two as you don’t want them to break or unwind any of the spirals.  Turn over the chakris slowly to cook on the second side.

12. Fry the chakris until they are crisp and brown.  Drain them on a kitchen paper.

Photobucket


13. These chakris can be saved in an airtight container for a week to 10 days to enjoy whenever you like with a cup of tea. In my opinion, they taste better cold.



If you enjoy reading my blog, please Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.



25 comments:

  1. No wonder Indian food is so much better than American crap - everything you post is handmade from scratch and looks like a lot of work!!

    Do you have an easy recipe for Malai Kofta? (Or better yet, a phone number for a place that DELIVERS it to me!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. chakli looks so crispy and delish..love to have this with my evening cuppa..thanks for the recipe Mina..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wounderfull,luks perfect...love the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely and crispy chakli. I am drooling.Mina please parcel me some chaklis or I am coming over to grab them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is fantastic mina. we call it murrukku in south india. lovely recipe, bookmarked to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..real crisp chaklis...looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These chakris looks so crispy and yumm. And, thanks for the award, dear Mina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the crispy murukku's.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chakris look mouthwatering and delicious.I am drooling at the sight of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will surely try your version. I love chaklis :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chakli looks so nice and crisp! Delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, looks like such a tasty treat. I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi
    1st time here. chakli before frying is looking tempting very nice .u also ad me visiting my blog
    santoshbangar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, perfect timing! This time I got this mould from India, now I just have to try this. Thanks for the recipe, will try this as soon I get active in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. *********--,_
    ********['****'*********\*******`''|
    *********|*********,]
    **********`._******].
    ************|***************__/*******-'*********,'**********,'
    *******_/'**********\*********************,....__
    **|--''**************'-;__********|\*****_/******.,'
    ***\**********************`--.__,'_*'----*****,-'
    ***`\*****************************\`-'\__****,|
    ,--;_/*******HAPPY INDEPENDENCE*_/*****.|*,/
    \__************** DAY **********'|****_/**_/*
    **._/**_-,*************************_|***
    **\___/*_/************************,_/
    *******|**********************_/
    *******|********************,/
    *******\********************/
    ********|**************/.-'
    *********\***********_/
    **********|*********/
    ***********|********|
    ******.****|********|
    ******;*****\*******/
    ******'******|*****|
    *************\****_|
    **************\_,/

    Chakri looks crispy, crunchy, yummy and tempting. Wonderful presentation with step by step pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your lovely words Mina Chakris look very crisp and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just to let you know dear your recipe is on 'The 30 Best Recipes of 2010' ~ thanks for your nomination. Regards Susan and Abraham

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on making it to the best 30 recipes of 2010. This is in deed a perfect crunchy snack for any festival. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the recipe. Seems that I need to buy myself a chakli maker now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice & crisp!!! Looks like a perfect recipe!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look very very yummy!!
    I'm drooling!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks good! My Mum used to also put cilantro (dhania) and some mashed potato in the mixture, together with all the above ingredients. East African Indian cooking is the best! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried them on the weekend...turned out perfect! Thank you so much, as I have attempted other versions, and either they turn out hard, or break when coming out to the machine, always had failures...this time even my husband enjoyed your version, who never eats chakris!! Thanks again ever so much :)

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.