Monday 31 May 2010

Muthia or Fenugreek Dumplings to add to Gujarati Undhiyu


Undhiyu is a Gujarati speciality curry made with a variety of  vegetables.   The  vegetables are half slit and filled with a mixture of spices and cooked slowly so that all the spices blend in making the curry delicious.  This curry wouldn't be complete without muthia (dumplings) made with fresh fenugreek ( called Methi in Gujarati).  Whenever I manage to get fresh fenugreek, I make a batch of muthias and freeze them to use when needed. 

Ingredients for roughly 40 muthias:

2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup chopped fresh fenugreek leaves(I like my muthias to have lots of fenugreek but you can reduce this amount if you want to)
1 teaspoon fresh ginger – finely blended
4 cloves of garlic – finely blended
2-3 green chillies – finely chopped
Half teaspoon salt
Half teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons cooking
Three quarter teaspoon soda bi carbonate
1 litre oil for frying the muthia(dumplings)

Method:

1. Mix the wheat flour and chickpea flour.
2. Add the fresh fenugreek to the flour.
3. Add all the spices and herbs. Mix well.









4. Using lukewarm water, form a dough. Grease your hands and transfer the dough to a clean worktop.


5. Divide the dough into small smooth balls – quite small ( about the size of small marbles) as they will fluff a bit when you fry them.




6. Fry the muthias in hot oil. The muthias will fluff up a bit -which is good as they should be nice and soft when you add them to the undhiyu.  The taste of these muthias with fenugreek blended with the herbs is heavenly!


7. Any extra muthias can be frozen to be used for adding to undhiyu or any mix vegetable curry.  The recipe for Undhiyu can be found in this blog at:  http://givemesomespice.blogspot.com/2010/05/gujarati-undhiyu-with-muthia-dumplings.html

I hope that you enjoy making this dish.  Please let me have your comments.

If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.


My blog  is also available on Kindle.

4 comments:

  1. Mina, I am planning to make these, how many muthia does these measurements make? Please email me with the answer. Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priya

    I have changed the recipe and included the no of muthias I made. I managed to make about 40 to 50 small muthias. Make them really small as they will rise. Also small ones look nicer, cook well and freeze well. I froze half mine and use them when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Undiyo is a very delicious dish of Gujarat. My best friend use to bring undiyo curry specially for me. Now i can try it on my own to have a delicious food. The Fenugreek used in the dish has many medicinal advantages, like in controlling blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, fever. Fenugreek is a natural source of Iron, vitamin A, B1, C, Phosphates and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you use Fenugreek seeds instead of green leaves, like making sweet balls(laddu) with wheat flour and fenugreek seeds powder. It is healthy and good to eat during winter seasons. The fenugreek seeds strengthens the bones, lessen the effect of hot flashes and mood fluctuations that are common symptoms of menopause and PMS.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.