Sunday 15 September 2013

Spicy Buckwheat Pancakes


I was sent some samples from Orgran who manufacture gluten free food products such as gluten free pasta, bread mixes, cake mixes, snacks and baking products. All their products are Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Egg free, Yeast Free, GMO Free and Vegan.   I used Orgran Buckwheat Pancake mix to make some spicy pancakes a bit similar to Gujarati pudlas. Buckwheat is not a grain but a fruit seed and part of the rhubarb family of plants.  This link  gives you more information about Buckwheat. 

Ingredients for 5 pancakes:

½ cup buckwheat pancake mix
1 small onion -grated
1 fresh green chilly chopped into small pieces
small bunch of freshly chopped coriander
small piece of grated ginger
2 gloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
½ tsp. salt
pinch of turmeric
2-3 tbls oil



1.  Transfer the pancake mix into a mixing bowl.  Add the onions, ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander, salt, turmeric to the pancake mix.  


2. Add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the mixture and mix it all using a spoon.


3.  Add half a cup of water to the mixture and stir.


4. This water should be enough but if you feel that the mixture is thick and you can a couple of tablespoons of water.


5. Grease and heat a non stick frying pan with oil.  Rub off the excess oil using a kitchen paper.  Pour in a small ladle of the pancake mix and using a tablespoon, spread it into a circle.




6. Once the little air bubbles start to appear, it should be easy to turn the pancake over.  If the pancakes feel dry, you can add a couple of drops of oil to allow them to brown.


7.  Cook until golden brown on both sides. Finish making all the pancakes in the same manner. I didn't need to add much oil to the pancakes and they cooked fine and tasted great too.


8.  Serve it hot with your favourite sauce.


If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog is also available on Kindle.


4 comments:

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.