Monday 26 September 2011

Sweet Corn Curry with Nuts and Dessicated Coconut



I have always loved sweet corn especially the canned version.  I love eating it cold in salads and  I'll often open a small can for my lunch and just eat it cold.  This reminds me of my student days!! 


My sister in law introduced me to this curry (makai nu shak) which I think is her signature dish.  I have altered the recipe slightly by omitting the onions and adding cashews and coconut to the dish.    If you like your curry to be rich and creamy and slightly sweet, you will like this sweet corn curry.  If you use frozen or canned sweet corn, this is a quick and easy dish to make.  

Ingredients for 4 servings

4 cups of frozen sweet corn (if using fresh sweet corn – boil it first.  For canned sweet corn, drain the juices and wash the sweet corn with cold water)
1 cup any tomato mixture
½ cup mixed peanuts and cashews
¼  cup desiccated coconut
2-3 tablespoons cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 teaspoon dry cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon chilly powder (use more if you like hot food)
2-3 cloves of blended garlic
Small bunch of coriander or some curry leaves for garnishing


1.  Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan and add in the cumin seeds.

2.   Once the seeds go dark brown, add the sweet corn and stir.

3.   Add the spices - salt, turmeric, chilly powder and stir.


4.  Roast the nuts either on a non stick saucepan or for 2-3 minutes in a microwave.


5.  Grind the nuts and mix them with the dessicated coconut and keep ready.


6.  Add the garlic and once the sweet corn is cooked, add the tomato mixture together with half a cup of water.


7.  Now add the ground nuts and desiccated coconut to the mixture.


8. Allow this to cook for 5-7 minutes and serve the curry hot with chappatis or Naan bread.


If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.


My blog  is also available on Kindle.  

12 comments:

  1. The picture of the nuts makes me drool Mina - Looks like a lovely curry - I love curried corn too but I make it sukha!

    Do check out my blog anniversary giveaways on my dear - cheers, Priya

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy ..very delish curry..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's looking too yummy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious looking curry wonderfully done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich looking curry with those nuts..wonderful pair for rotis..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unique and delicious recipe mina,love it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting curry...i like fresh corn most and would love to try this curry soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious & creamy...
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I have tried sweet corn in curry but I can imagine that it must be delicious! I will have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks soo inviting! I have never tried a gravy recipe using Sweet corn.Would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...This looks really mouthwatering....Thanks dear for sharing the recipe...Will surely give it a try..Bookmarking rightaway..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.