Friday 11 February 2011

Mixed Vegetables and Three Cheese Cannelloni


This is my first attempt at making cannelloni. I saw several recipes on my friends blogs and adapted this to the way my family likes it. This recipe was a hit with my young son and his friends  so I am going to include it in the Mirage series recipes category.

Ingredients:

4 cups of fresh or frozen spinach
2 cups of fresh or frozen mixed vegetables (I used carrots, beans, peas, sweetcorn and peppers)
1 Medium Onion
3-4 cloves of Small Garlic
500 grams of blended tomatoes (I used a can but you can use fresh or canned)
1 Large tablespoon of tomato puree
1 Tub 250 gms Ricotta Cheese
125 gms of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon Salt for the filling and 1 teaspoon for adding to the water which you need when you precook the cannelloni.
1/2 teaspoon of chilly powder
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
15 Cannelloni Tubes
200 gms Grated Cheddar cheese
I tablespoon cooking Oil

Method:

1. Heat the oil and add in the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

2. Add in the spinach, mixed vegetable,  tomatoes and tomato puree; plus the spices - salt, chilly powder, cumin powder, turmeric.





3. Cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.

4. Once cooked, blend all the vegetables using a blender.


5.  Allow the mixture to cool.

6.  Now boil some water, add 1 teaspoon of salt to it  and precook the cannelloni for about 4-5 minutes.




7.   Mix the ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese in a mixing bowl.

8.  Take 1 cup of the cooked vegetables and add it to the cheese mix.


9.  Mix the cheese and vegetable puree.  Now your stuffing is ready.

10.  Using a very small teaspoon, scoop the mixture and stuff the cannelloni tubes.

11.  Place the tubes in an oven proof dish.


12.  If you have any filling left, pour it over the cannelloni tubes.


13. Cover the cannelloni shells with the left over vegetable puree.


14.  Grate the Cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top of the vegetable puree.



15.  Cover the dish with aluminium foil and cook it in the oven at 180 Degrees C for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your oven.



  16.  Serve it hot with plenty of salad.   I am afraid that my picture of the final dish doesn't do it justice.  The cannelloni was absolutely delicious and got the seal of approval from my family.



If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog  is also available on Kindle.

18 comments:

  1. wow...i like the idea of mix veggies instead of just cheese...looks yummy Mina Ji

    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. drool worthy....enjoying..step by step pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie filled cannelloni look awesome. Making cannelloni is fun especially the filling part. Will try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a killer dish! Love Cannelonis, spicy or sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice step by step presentation and looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very attractive and wonderful dish clicks are very nice

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so Yum and would defenitely be loaded with calories.. love the last pic of yours.

    PS: can you add my name to the marathon runners Mina. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never cooked or eaten canneloni, but have seen it. This looks absolutely mouth watering with your step by step pics and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and colorful its recipe and very fantastics details shared in the post . great idea for food and i think very tested its food . i like that and amazing your post .......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, seriously am drooling here, wat a irresistible cannelloni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!lovely presentation. I am sure to try this out

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why this was a mega hit!!! Im drooling looking at the pics...Loved the rich & saucy filling...And with the 3 varities of cheeses im sure eating it was pure bliss!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious recipe liked the step by step pic.

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.