Butter beans (often called Lima beans) are full of protein and taste really great. They are available as dried beans which need to be soaked in cold water before cooking. The best way to boil them is in a pressure cooker as it is quicker. I have always been very fond of butter beans and love them best cooked as a curry with a slightly sweet and sour taste.
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 cups of boiled butter beans.. If using dry whButter beans, you need to soak them overnight before boiling them until soft.
½ a can of crushed tomatoes ( you can used fresh tomatoes too)
2 tablespoon cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
1 teaspoon dry cumin, 2 small pieces of cinammon, 3 small cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
½ cup of plain yogurt
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoons jaggery or brown sugar (optional)
1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
2 fresh green chillies
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance.
2. Add the 2 tablespoons cooking oil to this, add the cloves and cinammon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
3. Add the garlic, curry leaves and tomatoes to the mixture and stir.
4. Add all the spices, lemon and jaggery to the tomato mixture.( save the yogurt until the butter bean curry is cooked completely)
5. Cook all the ingredients until the tomatoes go soft and homogenous.
6. Add the boiled butter beans to the mixture and cook for a further 10 minutes on a medium heat.
7. Now add the yogurt and stir the curry for a couple of minutes until it's all blended together.
8. Remove the butter beans curry to a serving dish and sprinkle it with some chopped onions, green chillies and coriander.
9. This curry should be served hot with rice or any of the Indian breads.
My blog is also available on Kindle.