Tuesday 7 December 2010

Sweet Corn Soup

Photobucket

Now that Christmas holidays are nearer, all of us will be entertaining friends and family. However, non of us want the calories and neither do we wish to spend all our time in the kitchen. It's not fun when your guests arrive and you haven't finished cooking or you have but are so tired that you are in no mood for entertaining. Well here's a simple and easy recipe for  making a healthy soup which can be a good starter. You can make this soup as spicy or as bland as you like. I tend to make my soup fairly simple and keep all the condiments on the table for people to add as required.

Ingredients for 4 servings

3 cups sweet corn (I used frozen sweet corn but you can use frsh or tinned and adjust cooking time accordingly)
1 Onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
4-5 tablespoons of semolina
3 cups hot vegetable stock ( I used vegetarian bouillon granules but you can use vegetable cubes or anything similar)
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Small piece of ginger (optional)

Method:

1. Pour some hotwater on the sweetcorn to defrost it.    Drain the sweet corn and put into a food processor with the onions, garlic, ginger, and semolina and blend it to a smooth mixture. If you like hot and spicy soup- you can add 2 green chillies.

Photobucket


2. Transfer this mixture into a saucepan, add the hot vegetable stock and bring to a boil.

3.  Add some pepper to the soup. (You won't need to add any more spices if you have used the Stock granules or cube)

4. Add half a cup of plain yogurt to the soup and stir well. ( You can add cream and butter if you wish - I chose the healthier option)

5. Let it simmer gently for 10 minutes.  If the soup hasn't blended well, you may wish to blend it again. 

6. The soup is ready to serve;  you can serve it with warm home made garlic bread; I didn't use coriander in this soups as I was trying to keep it a golden yellow colour.


Photobucket

If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

My blog  is also available on Kindle.

Photobucket
www.givemesomespice.com

6 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect for the weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum post dear..looks wonderful n mindblowing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a unique recipe with semolina.I have never heard of that.Looks hearty for chilli evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super delicious and wonderful looking soup..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hearty and delicious soup that is perfect for the cold weather we are having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Mina
    How are you? I like this soup recipe.I also note you have added semolina. Let me try the vege version...( bit sick of chicken sweet corn soup due to over use.)
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.