I am one of those people who likes details instructions and explanations. Those of you who regularly visit my blog will have realised that I try to do the same when writing my recipes. Most of my recipes are easy to follow and illustrated by photographs so that anyone can follow them.
Now that the days are shorter and the evenings are colder, it's a great time to spend in the kitchen where it's warm and cosy. There is nothing nicer than the smell of baking something like cakes and cookies at this time of the year.
Here is a recipe for cookies/biscuits which is also easy to follow. The cookies turn out great and it's made with ingredients most of us will have in the cupboard.
INGREDIENTS for 20 cookies:
2 cups of Plain flour
1/4 cup of coarse semolina
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
1 1/4 cups of ground sugar (I did mine in the coffee grinder)
3/4 cup of melted butter (you can use margarine as well. For this recipe, I used half butter and half margarine)
2 tbsps plain yogurt
a small handful of almonds, cashews or pistacios for decorating the cookies
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder
2. Add the cardamom powder to the flour
3. Blend the sugar, melted butter and yogurt in a mixing bowl using a fork, till smooth.
4. Add the sieved flour and semolina to the sugar and butter mixture. Knead well for 5 minutes. The dough should be soft and just right to enable you to form a ball. ( I have marked it as a smile , with a spoon to give you an idea of how soft the dough is)
5. Transfer the dough into a covered bowl and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Transfer the dough to a worktop and shape it like a tube.
7. Cut it into manageable chunks.
8. Take a chunk at a time and shape into small balls and slightly flatten the balls.
9. Sprinkle some diced almonds, pistaccio or cashews by pressing it gently into the biscuits.
10. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
11. Place the biscuits on a greased tray leaving enough space between each biscuits to allow them to spread as they cook.
12. Bake them in the centre of the oven for 18-20 minutes depending upon your oven. Fan assisted oven will take less time.
13. Once baked, the cookie will feel soft on touch.
14. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. The cookies will harden as they cool.
15. Enjoy the cookies with a nice cup of masala chai and if you have any left, they can be stored in an airtight cookie jar.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please click on Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter