Garbanzos peas are often referred to as Chick peas, chole or chana and are a good source of proteins. They come in two or three varieties. The most popular are the fairly large white chick peas often called Kabuli Chana, the small dark brown variety or a strange almost greeny colour.
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 cups of boiled chick peas
2 small potatoes, washed and chopped quite small.
1 cup tinned tomatoes
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon dry cumin
2 small pieces of cinammon
3 small cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 reaspoon crushed garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
A small bunch of coriander
1. Lightly warm the cumin in a wok or saucepan until you get the lovely cumin fragrance. Add the oil to this, add the cloves and cinnamon and allow the cumin to cook until it looks dark.
2. Add the potatoes and stir until they are coated with the oil. Now add the spices such as salt, chili powder, turmeric, garlic and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
3. Now add the boiled chick peas to the mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes on a medium heat.
4. Blend the tinned tomatoes, lemon juice and brown sugar and add to the curry and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the chick peas and potato curry to a serving dish and garnish it with come coriander. Serve this with naan bread and fresh salad.
If you enjoy reading my blog, please Follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.