Thursday 18 March 2010

Quick and Easy Bateta Makai Pawa



Bateta Pawa is another dish often served in India as a breakfast dish in gujarati homes. I usually make them as a quick snack. This one was made with potatoes, flaked rice and sweet corn - hence I called it bateta makai pawa.  I have never seen them on a restaurant menu but I wouldn't be surprised if they served this dish.

Ingredients (serves 2):

2 medium potatoes washed and chopped in very small cubes
1 medium red onion chopped in small cubes
half a cup of sweet corn ( I used frozen sweet corn)
1 cups of pawa ( flaked rice)
2 small green chillies (chopped finely) (reduce to half or one if you are not keen on hot food.
some cashew nuts and peanuts
1 teaspoon salt
half  teasppon  turmeric
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
some coriander and  chilly powder for garnishing
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
a few curry leaves ( limdo) Optional

Method:

1.  Heat the oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds to it.  Add the curry leaves if you have some.
2.  Once the popping stops, add the onions and stir them in the oil.
3.  Add the diced potatoes, sweet corn, chopped green chillies, salt, turmeric and sugar.
4.  Add the peanuts and cashews.
5.  Mix well, spinkle a couple of teaspoons of water and allow this to cook on a low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the potatoes feel fairly soft but not overcooked..
6.  In the meantime, wash the flaked rice in cold water and drain them in a sieve.
7.  Once the potatoes feel soft, add the flaked rice to the mixture.  Add the lemon juice, stir well and allow to cook gently for 5 to7 minutes.  Taste and add more salt or lemon if desired.
8. Remove  into a serving dish. Sprinkle some chilly powder and coriander to the bateta pawa and serve hot with yoghurt.

The following slides may help you with the recipe.



2 comments:

I thank you for taking the time to visit my blog and posting a comment. I genuinely appreciate comments like yours on my blog and I hope you will visit again. Leave me your contact details if you would like me to visit your blog.
Any comments without contact details will be sent to the Spam box. Any comments with back links will also be sent to the Spam Box. Any rude comments will be reported to Google.