Cauliflower can be cooked on its own or with potato (aloo gobi) with peas (mutter gobi) or potatoes (alu gobi)
Ingredients for cauliflower curry (serves 4):
One medium cauliflower - washed and cut into small pieces.
2 or 3 tablespoons oil (Most cooking oils are fine but try and use one which is low in saturated fats and trans fats)
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
Salt and chilly powder as required to your taste.
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of ground cumin (jeera) powder.
One cup of fresh or tinned tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
small piece of ginger - grated finely
One small onion chopped and diced finely.
A small bunch of fresh coriander.
1. Warm the oil in a saucepan.
2. Add the mustard seeds. They should start popping - if not, stir them with a wooden spoon and wait for them to pop.
3. Add the diced onions,ginger and garlic. Stir them in the oil.
4. Add the salt, turmeric and chilly powder and keep stirring until the onions look golden brown.
5. Add the chopped cauliflower to this mixture and cover.
6. Let this cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat.
7. Check to see if the cauliflower has softened. If not allow a further 5 or 10 minutes.
8. Once the cauliflower feels soft, add the tomatoes and cumin powder and let it cook for 5 more minutes or until it looks dry.
9. Sprinkled with fresh coriander and serve with any Indian bread.
For Aloo Gobi:
Follow the same recipe and add the cauliflower and potato to the onion and garlic sauce . Reduce the quantity of cauliflower to enable you to make the same quantity.
For Mutter Gobi:
Follow the same recipe and add the cauliflower and peas to the onion and garlic sauce. Reduce the quantity of cauliflower to enable you to make the same quantity
If you enjoy reading my blog, please follow or become a fan of my page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.